By Nasir Khusraw (auth.); Ormsby, Eric (trans.)
Read Online or Download Between Reason and Revelation: Twin Wisdoms Reconciled. An annotated English translation of Nāṣir-i Khusraw’s Kitāb-i Jāmiʿ al-ḥikmatayn PDF
Best religion books
William Lobdell's trip of faith—and doubt—may be the main compelling religious memoir of our time. Lobdell turned a born-again Christian in his past due 20s while own problems—including a failed marriage—drove him to his knees in prayer. As a newly minted evangelical, Lobdell—a veteran journalist—noticed that faith wasn't lined good within the mainstream media, and he prayed for the Lord to place him at the faith beat at a tremendous newspaper. In 1998, his prayers have been replied while the la instances requested him to jot down approximately religion.
but what occurred over the subsequent 8 years was once a roller-coaster of thought, confusion, doubt, and soul-searching as his reporting and reports slowly chipped away at his religion. whereas reporting on hundreds and hundreds of reports, he witnessed a stressful hole among the tenets of varied religions and the behaviors of the trustworthy and their leaders. He investigated spiritual associations that acted much less ethically than corrupt Wall St. companies. He chanced on few adjustments among the morals of Christians and atheists. As this facts piled up, he began to worry that God didn't exist. He explored each doubt, each question—until, eventually, his religion collapsed. After the paper agreed to reassign him, he wrote a private essay in the summertime of 2007 that grew to become a world sensation for its sincere exploration of doubt.
wasting My faith is a ebook approximately life's private questions that speaks to every body: Lobdell is aware the longings and satisfactions of the trustworthy, in addition to the unrelenting energy of doubt. How he confronted that energy, and wrestled with it, is needs to studying for individuals of religion and nonbelievers alike.
For all of the hundreds of thousands of books which were written approximately faith, few until eventually this one have tried to ascertain it scientifically: to invite why—and how—it has formed such a lot of lives so strongly. Is faith a made of blind evolutionary intuition or rational selection? Is it really the right way to dwell an ethical lifestyles?
The cost of Freedom Denied exhibits that, opposite to well known opinion, making sure non secular freedom for all reduces violent spiritual persecution and clash. Others have advised that regulations on faith are essential to preserve order or protect a relaxed non secular homogeneity. Brian J. Grim and Roger Finke exhibit that proscribing non secular freedoms is linked to larger degrees of violent persecution.
Die folgende Untersuchung hat als Habilitationsschrift im wintry weather 1956/57 der Theologischen Fakultät der Ernst Moritz Arndt-Universität Greifswald vorgelegen. Das Manuskript der gegenwärtigen Fassung der Arbeit wurde im Frühjahr 1959 abgeschlossen.
- Bibeln (Svenska Folkbibeln 98)
- Answering those who altered the religion of Jesus Christ by Shaikhul-Islam Ibn Taimiyah. Abridged by Ash-Shahhat Ahmad at-Tahhan
- Bonhoeffer, Religion and Politics: 4th International Bonhoeffer Colloquium
- La Epístola del Apostol Pablo a los Hebreos
- Six secular philosophers.
Extra info for Between Reason and Revelation: Twin Wisdoms Reconciled. An annotated English translation of Nāṣir-i Khusraw’s Kitāb-i Jāmiʿ al-ḥikmatayn
69. The word used is salb, which denotes both clothing and plunder. 70. There is a lacuna in the text here. 32 Between Reason and Revelation the true Imam, the offspring of the chosen Emissary, and the inheritor of his ancestor’s exalted rank, the keeper of his sagacious wisdom – Maʿādd Abū Tamīm, the Imam, the Prince of Believers71 – the prayers of God be upon him, his immaculate ancestors, and his illustrious descendants – I had already made a study of the writings of the masters of philosophy, and I had a sound grasp of the science of true religion, including that very science of [esoteric] interpretation (ta’wīl) which holds the inner meaning of the Book of the Sacred Law (sharīʿa).
Q16:90, tr. Jones. The Reason for the Composition of this Book; its Title 25  The sages of true religion state that the cause of any newly created thing is sevenfold. If any of the seven causes is absent, that thing may not come to be. 48 This is so because the maker can make a created thing in a [given] space at a [given] time; thus these two [the spatial and the temporal] figure among the causes for the emergence of contingent things (muḥdathāt). 51  We say now that it is the rational soul (nafs-i sukhan-gū’i) through which man has become pre-eminent in the world; it is why he has been given charge of earth and water, air, and fire, together with control over the beasts of the earth, such that he can turn each and every one of them to his own advantage.
43) If I were to ask you for a proof of creation (ibdāʿ), What could you offer to make it plain in my sight? (44) What is this thing, not from anything, though it seems a thing? How can you make these secrets plain? (45) Is it true that God created a single man and then, Because he was sad, from his body made a mate? (46) And then, from these two, that He created a progeny, Children, a profusion of grandchildren, an innumerable tribe? 88 (48) If you agree, how is it that the individual came first And then the species?